Restrictions for SMS on Bandwidth serviced Phone Numbers
Posted by Albert Diaz, Last modified by Gabe Olano on 18 January 2021 01:18 PM
There's a currently an industry wide issue related to activating third party SMS services (like those offered by RingLogix, and other SMS providers) on any phone number where Bandwidth is the underlying CLEC.
We are currently in ongoing discussions with Bandwidth to determine when their legal and engineering teams will complete the changes needed to support these services.
At the moment we have the following information we can share about how Bandwidth handles off-net SMS and their future intentions:
- They do not overwrite or snap-back numbers back to their NNID. They actually block all attempts from other carriers at the NetNumber layer proactively. This means third-party SMS services will not activate for these numbers.
- They are currently implementing a process where they will allow this in the near future. This means that globally they will allow customers to route messaging on their BW CLEC TNs to third-party messaging networks. They're in the middle of working out the details with NetNumber on how they're going to do this.
- The vast majority of the development work for this effort has been completed. They have some administration work and behind the scenes things to do to make sure they're going to be successful.
What to do if you are affected?
- A limited set of phone numbers should be affected by this issue. Since most customers port in phone numbers, and since Bandwidth is not the primary carrier for our port in orders, you should not experience this often.
- New numbers purchased (not ported) in the portal are most likely to be affected by this issue. These are usually test or temporary numbers.