Supported Licenses for Microsoft Direct Routing
Posted by Albert Diaz, Last modified by Albert Diaz on 22 September 2023 06:43 PM
This article explains Microsoft’s license requirements for activating direct routing on a tenant.|
Getting Your Licenses Ready
To activate Direct Routing on any Microsoft User they will need to have a compatible main license and an add-on phone system license assigned to them.
Further, to activate Direct Routing on any Microsoft Auto Attendant or Call Queue it will need to have a Free Virtual User license assigned to its resource account.
Although license modifications in Microsoft may appear right away in their portal, the changes themselves may take up to 48 hours. For this reason, we suggest completing this step in advance.
What You Should Do
1. Make sure each phone system User has a compatible main license and a phone system license.
2. Make sure each auto attendant and call queue has a virtual user license.
3. Make sure the tenant global admin User – that will be used later to setup the service – has a compatible main license and a phone system license. They need this regardless of whether they will use the phone system or not.
4. After all your assignments are completed make sure you have a spare/unassigned compatible main license for the “temp activation user”.
5. If you are missing any licenses purchase and assign them now.
Compatible Main Licenses
The licenses below are compatible with Microsoft Teams.
** These licenses are less common and already include the phone system license. Users with these licenses do not need an additional add-on phone system license.
Add-On Phone System Licenses:
*NOTE: Microsoft refers to Auto Attendants and Call Queues as "Resource" accounts which require a free - Virtual User license that must be purchased and assigned before they can have a Phone Number assigned to them. Resource accounts ONLY require a free virtual license and nothing else.
Other Helpful Articles for Direct Routing
1. Introduction to Microsoft Teams Direct Routing for Resellers
2. Activate a Direct Routing Service in RingLogix
3. Assign a Phone Number to a User in Teams
4. How to Delete Previous Direct Routing Settings
5. Troubleshoot Direct Routing Setup and Sync